Ability West – Éirim An Iarthair, formerly known as The Galway County Association for Mentally Handicapped Children, was set up by parents and friends in 1962. Over the past 50 years Ability West has grown from strength to strength and we now provide high quality services and supports to over 500 children and adults with intellectual disability. Ability West is a voluntary organisation dedicated to enabling people with intellectual disability to realise their dreams and ambitions and to take their rightful place in society.
We are a grass roots organisation with local branches of Ability West located in parishes throughout County Galway. Membership of the branches mainly comprises of family and friends of service users, and the general public. These branches are the link to local people, businesses and communities and are vital in adhering to our ethos and vision which is to provide each person with opportunities, supports and services that will enable them to be an active and valued member within their community. The branches are also very important in that they are the link between the Board of Directors and the community.
Ability West operates a vibrant volunteer programme and we currently have over 200 male and female volunteers who bring with them their talents, skills, commitment, enthusiasm and energy. See the Volunteer Section for more information on volunteering.
We currently have 55 centres located across Galway City and County. Services include day, residential, respite, rehabilitative training, supported employment, active ageing, community support and multidisciplinary supports. Ability West is also patron to four special schools located in Ballinasloe, Carraroe, Galway City and Tuam.
Ability West – Éirim an Iarthair dedicated to enabling people with an intellectual disability realise their dreams and ambitions which forms the Mission Statement.
Ability West will deliver on its Vision Statement by doing the following:
- Placing service users’ fundamental rights at the centre of our activities and promoting those rights
- Empowering service users to live the lifestyle of their choice and to play a meaningful role in all aspects of community life
- Listening and then developing a variety of options that can be used flexibly to meet the identified needs of service users
- Developing the skills and dedication of our staff in a supportive and motivating environment
- Working in active partnership with service users, families, staff, our voluntary supporters and the broader community
- Campaigning at local, regional and national level to resource and realise our vision to achieve these aims
Tá Éirim an Iarthair tiomanta a chur ar chumas dhaoine faoi mhíchumas intleachtúil gach atá uathu a bhaint amach maratá sa Ráiteas Misin.
Deanamh Éirim An Iarthair a Ráiteas Físe a sheachadamh mar seo a leanas.
- Ag cur cearta bunúsacha úsáideoirí seirbhíse ag croilár ár gcuid gniomhaíochtaí agus cur chun cinn na cearta sinn
- Úsáideoirí seirbhíse a chumhachtú chun conaí ar an stíl bheatha a roghnaíonn siad féin, agus ról a mbaineann brí leis a bheith acu i ngach gné de shaol an phobail
- Trí éisteach agus ansin ag forbairt roghanna éagsula ar feidir a úsáid go solúbtha chun freastal ar riachtanais aiteanta na n-úsáideoirí seirbhíse
- Ag forbairt na scileanna agus tiomantas na foirne i dtimpeallacht thacúil agus spreagúil
- Ag obair i gcomhpháirtíocht gníomhach le húsáideoirí seirbhíse, teaghlaigh, foirne, ár lucht tacaíochta deonach, agus leis an bpobal níos leithne
- Trí dul i mbun feachtais ag leibhéal áitúil, réigiúnach agus náisiúnta chur acmhainní agus ár bhfís a bhaint amach chun na haidhneanna seo a bhaint amach
- Rights Based Approach
- Person Centredness
- Participation in Community Life
- Openness, Integrity, Accountability and Transparency